Saturday 22 October 2016

2nd Grade: Take 1

Last Friday was my first time getting to do a lesson with my lovely second grade class. I haven't participated with Arts Bridge in the past, so this was my first lesson being taught in an elementary school. I was pretty nervous, but so excited!

As the children gathered on the floor for the story that started off the lesson, I found it difficult to remember names. I really wanted to call everyone by their name, but after only two previous visits to the classroom, for observations, I hadn't memorized them all yet. Fortunately, the final activity of the lesson had them back at their desks drawing pictures from their summer vacation. I really liked this because I got to walk around and talk to each of them individually about their pictures. Since their names were on their desks, it also gave me an opportunity to call them each by their names.

I think that one thing I want to improve upon most for next time is being more confident. I could tell the children were having fun, but there were times that I started to second guess the way I had chosen to adapt the lesson plan. I felt inadequate and uncertain in my directions. Before I teach the next time, I am definitely going to practice my lesson plan out loud, even if I don't have an audience. I think just rehearsing the directions can help me figure out ways to be clear and concise with instruction.

I think my favorite thing was having the kids come up and tell their stories after drawing them. I had given them a challenge to add something fictional to their story from summer. Since they are having a storytelling competition at school, I wanted this lesson to act as an intro to storytelling; something to help them realize that they are already storytellers. I love the creativity that they expressed.

I'm so excited for this semester and all the ways that I know I'm going to grow. I have so many goals and things to try!

******************************************************************************************

Storytelling Lesson #1


Objectives:
  1. Children will, through their participation, demonstrate the concept that as a storyteller cooperates with an audience, the audience cooperates with the storyteller.
  2. Children will practice forming and sharing their own personal stories.
Materials Needed:
  • How I Spent my Summer Vacation, by Mark Teague, Dragonfly Books, published by Crown Inc., a division of Random House, 1995;

Have a short discussion with the students regarding their last vacation, or school break. Ask them to shut their eyes and make a “remember picture” in their mind of the best thing they did during that vacation or break. Remind children of various activities they might have experienced. (“Did you spend time at your grandma’s home… did you go someplace fun with your family… did you stay at home and read a million books… did you play outside with your neighbor…?” etc.) Ask students to share with you their memory, or “remember picture.”
Choose a few students and listen to their stories. Draw students out, asking for details, being delighted that they will share with you. Thank each student for telling you his or her story. Use and emphasize the words story and storyteller.
Honor the fact that the students shared with you. Demonstrate that you were a good listener. Repeat specific details of the stories as you speak, so that the students will notice how closely you paid attention.
Tell the students that you feel as if you received a gift, a present, today, when they told you their stories. Tell them you are going to pass the present along when you share their story with someone else. (“A story is like a present. You give someone a gift when you share a story.”)
Procedure:
  1. Invite students to listen to a story about a boy and what he did on his summer vacation
  2. Present How I Spent My Summer Vacation , by Mark Teague.
  3. Help the children discover all the storytellers involved. Discuss the fact that Wallace Bleff shared his story with his class. Also, a man named Mark Teague made up the story and pictures of the book. Then point out that you (the teacher) were a storyteller also, because you told (in this case, read aloud) the story to your students.
  4. (“In the next few drama lessons we have we’re all going to learn about stories and how to express stories—share stories, with other people.)
  5. Using prepared word strips, or writing on the white board, discuss the following concepts in light of the story you just read. Refer to illustrations as examples of these concepts.
    • Stories Teach, Warn and Entertain (“Did Wallace’s story warn us of anything?” etc)
    • The Storyteller’s job is to make the story interesting. (“How did Wallace make the story interesting?”)
    • The Audience’s job is to have Open Ears, Open Minds, Open Hearts (“What does it mean to have open ears?” etc.), Students will have many ideas regarding these concepts. You may want to note that “open ears” can mean listening well, and “open mind” may mean using one’s imagination. It can also mean not deciding before you hear a story whether or not you’ll like it. Having an open heart can mean letting oneself be touched emotionally by a story.(“So if the story is supposed to be funny, go ahead and laugh. And if the story is supposed to be a little scary, go ahead and feel a little afraid. And if the story is a little sad, go ahead and …that’s right, feel a bit sad.)
    • Set a movement pneumonic for Open Ears, Open Minds, Open Hearts. (For example, point to ears, brain and heart, each time you mention the Audience’s job.)
  6. Ask students to draw or write a version of their own summer vacation. However, they must have an open mind, and extend their thinking and add some fun exciting new fictional details to their stories. Have the students read or tell their stories to classmates. Classmates may guess what is “real” and what is fictional.
  7. Praise the students for their work. Discuss how they did their job as an audience. Thank them for their help in making your job easier as a storyteller as well as being willing to become the storyteller. Say again how much you loved their stories; they were wonderful presents. (“A story is like a present. You give someone a gift when you share a story.”)

Lesson Plan originally created by Teressa Love, minor adaptations made by Taylor Stroupe

No comments:

Post a Comment