Tuesday 1 November 2016

Take 2: Some Personal Experimentation

So, this week felt a lot different than last week's lesson. I wrote the entire lesson plan myself, rather than adapting an existing one. I focused a lot on some of the process drama activities we have been discussing lately in my Elementary School Drama course.

We started off with a review of some of the storytelling elements that we discussed the previous week.
  • The audience's job is to listen with open ears, open minds, and open hearts
  • Stories teach, warn, and entertain
Then, we added the focus for this week: Heroes overcome obstacles. To help the students engage with this idea, we discussed some of the different heroes the students like. Some of my favorite answers were: Iron man, my mom, and Martin Luther King, Jr. We also talked about some of the obstacles they might have to overcome. After our discussion, we did a "soundtracking" activity. This meant that while I played the Superman theme song, the students walked around as their heroes. I encouraged them to embody their hero in their walk, their facial expressions, and their hand movements. They had a blast with the activity and so did I.

I think the biggest difference between the two lessons was my clarity of purpose. When teaching the first time, I had some objectives pre-written in the plan I adapted. However, as I taught, I found myself swaying between two different objectives in my mind. I wasn't sure what the most important things I wanted the students to be able to do at the end of the lesson. When I had a clear view that I was committed to, the whole lesson was easier to teach and enjoy.

_________________________________________________________________________

Storytelling Lesson #2

Materials needed:
  • Paper strips with the three recap things at the end of the lesson.
  • My computer to play music
  • (I can bring both of these things)
Classroom:
  • Desks pushed to the side. We will be doing a lot of movement
Core Theater Standard:
  • Use body to communicate meaning through the use of space, shape, energy, and gesture.
Learning Objective:
  • Students will be able to demonstrate critical thinking and characterization by giving advice on how to overcome obstacles and using their body and movement to show characterization.

Intro:
  • Last week, we talked about… This week, we are going to talk about heros.
Activity 1:
  • Heroes overcome obstacles
  • Play some dramatic music (background music from Avengers)
  • Invite students to move with the music as if they were a hero
    • This is a non-verbal activity. We will talk about your heros afterwards, so just focus on moving like your hero.
  • Side coaching (further instructions or invitations that could keep the students thinking and creating)
    • What kind of hero are you?
    • Are you a happy hero, maybe with a skip in your step?
    • Are you a strong hero, maybe walking slowly or flexing?
    • Are you a serious hero?
    • What are you trying to do?
Discussion:
  • What were your heroes like?
    • (Pick a few students.)
    • Those are some awesome heros!
  • Heros are heros because they do good things and overcome obstacles. Who can think of some obstacles your heroes might encounter?
    • Pick a few students to share ideas
Activity 2:

  • Ask for a volunteer who is confident with their hero.
    • I need someone who hasn’t been called on yet.
  • Once you have chosen them, ask the volunteer to tell the class in detail about their hero.
  • Once we have a good idea of what the hero is like, ask what would be an appropriate obstacle for this hero.
  • When the obstacle is decided upon, have everyone think about what they might feel like if this was them.
  • Divide the class into two lines facing each other.
  • Explain how this activity will work:
    • _____(our volunteer) is going to walk slowly between these two lines you have all made
    • As _____ passes, I want you to whisper an idea of how he could possibly react to this obstacle that is in his way.
    • Ok? Let’s practice. Everyone take a second to think. Once you’ve gotten an idea, whisper it to your thumb.
    • Got it? Aswesome!
    • Invite ______ to walk between the lines, listening to the advice.
    • If time permits, maybe have another student walk down “Decision Alley”
  • Wrap-up
    • Invite them to sit on the floor.
    • Wow, you guys had some wonderful advice!
    • What are some things you learned?
    • Recap:
      • So far, we have learned that
        • The Audience’s job is to listen with open ears, open minds and open hearts.
        • Stories warn, entertain and teach
        • Heros Overcome Obstacles
    • Thanks for having fun with me today! See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Taylor, this is such a great lesson plan! I think it's great that you taught a lesson that was completely original. It can be challenging to predict everything that might happen in a new lesson until you have taught it, but your lesson plan is so beautifully clear. I love your ability to reflect on the quality of your lesson and consider future improvements. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your use of music was an especially good choice in the lesson. Music can be so inspirational and can inspire children to awaken their inner actor and inner hero.

    ReplyDelete